Business Law (formerly known as Mercantile Law) by Dr. Avtar Singh has long been on the list of recommended books.
The new 9th Edition of the work has now been expanded to include six new subjects. All recent amendments have been incorporated in the Acts covered in the book.
Business laws covered in the 9th Edition
- Contract Act, 1872;
- Companies Act, 1956;
- Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881;
- Partnership Act, 1932;
- Sale of Goods Act, 1932;
- Consumer Protection Act, 1986; and
- Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Act, 1969
New Statutes added:
- Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008;
- Trade Marks Act, 1999;
- Copyright Act, 1957;
- Designs Act, 2000;
- Patents Act, 1970; and
- Geographical Indications Act, 1999
Copious references to Indian and English cases have been made to give the law as interpreted and developed through the Courts. Detailed contents, table of cases and an elaborate subject index enhance the utility of the work.
This scholarly work explains the law in an easy to understand style using very simple language and expression. It will be immensely useful for students, researchers, academicians, lawyers, and judges.
- "The book has long been on the list of recommended books for the use of students of law and commerce and students of Masters of Business Administration, Chartered Accountancy, Company Secretaryship etc. This book is also indispensable to practising lawyers and professionals dealing with the subject."
—Kerala Law Times
- "The refreshing quality of clarity and simplicity of language, the logical arrangement of the topics and treatment and the comprehensives of the case materials remain the hallmark of the work."
—The Economic Times
- "...when it was first published in 1973, almost drove out of circulation all other books on the subject. Since then the book has become almost indispensable..."
—The Administrator, National Academy of Administration, Mussorie
- "A standard text book for students of various disciplines; a dependable handbook for teachers; an easy-to-understand guide for businessmen and professionals."
—Kerala University Journal of Legal Studies
- "...recommended for corporates, advocates and other professionals and also for students undergoing professional courses."
- "...is highly informative and is well written in a highly readable form.
—Academy Law Review