Dr VK Singh’s Legal Studies Class XII for ISC is the second book in the series for High School students covering various topics of law in seven units and several chapters Though the topics covered in the book have been arranged as per the ISC syllabus for Class XII, an attempt has been made to provide a well-knit perspective of the topics covered for a general audience as well, who are interested in knowing the law and its implications in day-to-day life.
Unit I deals with intellectual property laws such as trademark, patent, design, copyright, etc. Unit II of the book deals with the overview of the court system in India, justice delivery by Tribunals, the justice system in rural India, and also Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR). This unit is further supplemented by Unit V which specifically deals with the concept of free legal aid under the Legal Services Authorities Act, Lok Adalat as well as public services and law.
Every day several crimes are reported in newspapers and the young generation must be made aware of a basic understanding of the criminal procedure. How is criminal law put in motion, what is an FIR, how does a criminal trial proceed, etc. Unit III specifically deals with the crime and law of evidence.
While Unit I deals with intangible property, the law relating to tangible property is covered in Unit IV, including the law relating to trusts and wills and Benami properties. Unit VI introduces the concept of legal language, specifically the “legal maxims”. The last unit of this book provides details about seven important laws, i.e. laws against corruption, negotiable instruments laws, competition laws, taxation laws, food safety laws, human rights laws, information technology laws and motor vehicle laws.
I applaud Dr. Vijay Kumar Singh’s initiative to author a book aimed at secondary school students to expose them to the discipline of law and as a by-product encourage them to get a degree in the subject at the university level. He has already authored a book on Legal Studies for Class XI (ISC students). Quickly reading through the same, I must articulate that it is a great read for every Indian citizen. I am sure that this book on Legal Studies for Class XII (ISC students) will also serve the same purpose.
1. Introduction and Historical Evolution of IPR 2. Copyright Laws 3. Law of Trademarks 4. Law of Patents 5. Law of Designs 6. Law of Geographical Indications 7. Protection of Plant Varieties
Unit II - Dispute Resolution
1. Overview of the Court System in India 2. Justice Delivery by Tribunals 3. Justice System in Rural India 4. Alternate Dispute Resolution
Unit III - Crime and Law of Evidence
1. Law Relating to FIR and Arrest 2. Criminal Trial 3. Law of Evidence
Unit IV - Transfer of Property
1. Introduction to Transfer of Property 2. Law Relating to Mortgage and Leases 3. Law of Trusts and Wills 4. Benami Properties
Unit V - Legal Services Authority and Its Role
1. The Concept of Legal Aid 2. Legal Services Authorities 3. Lok Adalat 4. Public Services by the State
Unit VI - Legal Maxims
Unit VII- Important Laws
1. Laws against Corruption 2. Negotiable Instruments Law 3. Competition Laws 4. Taxation Laws 5. Food Safety Laws 6. Human Rights Laws 7. Information Technology Laws 8. Motor Vehicles and Road Safety Law
Class 12 ISC Syllabus AIMS Paper-I — Theory Paper-II — Project work Guidelines for teachers Sample Paper 1