Supreme Court on Environment Law (1950 to 2018) (In 2 Volumes)
This unique work provides the most comprehensive coverage of the case law on Environment Law as laid down by the Supreme Court from 1950 to 2018.
Volume 1 : Covers the Supreme Court case-law on Environment Law from 1950 to 2013.
Volume 2 : The update volume 2 updates the case law in Supreme Court on Environment Law from 2014 up to 2018.
The work also covers a large number of Central and State statutes that govern the environment and forests. It has been conceived and planned to enable the discovery of all the rulings more accessible easily and quickly. Detailed cross-references have been provided under various headings make the research more convenient.
- An authoritative and comprehensive Digest on the subject.
- Contains 37 Central Statutes and 87 State Statutes.
- Brings out the maximum law points from the Supreme Court case-law on the subject.
- Statutes covered include Environment (Protection) Act, 1986; Hazardous Wastes (Management and Handling) Amendment Rules 2003; Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981; Forest Act, 1927; Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972; Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000; Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and many more.
Case law has been arranged under different topics like:
General Principles of Environmental Law, Environmental Clearance, Hazardous Substances, Air Pollution, Mining and Industries, Monuments and Environment, International Conferences, etc.
- Extensively covers the important component of Environment Law, the sanctions imposed on polluters, like Polluter Pays Principle and Remedial / Compensatory / Punitive Measures, etc.
- Detailed cross–references have been provided under various headings.
- Planned and developed to assist in quick and easy research of all the rulings.
- Printed on high quality paper, and machine bound with elegant get-up in an international finish.
This popular work has been updated with supplement containing the following statutory Amendments: The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 [Act 35 of 2019]; Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation (Adaptation of Central Laws) Order, 2020 and Union Territory of Ladakh Reorganisation (Adaptation of Central Laws) Order, 2020.
The present sixth edition of this greatly admired publication on the subject by Prof. S.C. Shastri has been thoroughly revised and updated with all statutory and case law developments.
The new edition includes:
- New chapter on Nuclear Power Plants and the Environment.
- Updated Rules, viz. —Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2015; —Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016; —Construction and Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016; —Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016 and the new Act i.e. Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act, 2016.
The author has discussed the distinctive shift in the approach of the courts to achieve the goal of environmental justice i.e. from anthropocentric approach to eco-centric approach. The focus of the courts has shifted from humans to the protection and preservation of ecology or the present species of flora and fauna, as it is necessary for the existence of mankind. The evolving concept of “corporate social responsibility” in relation to environmental justice has also been provided due place in this work.
Includes additional online learning resources on www.ebcexplorer.com:
- Access to important case law as indicated by Case PilotTM
- Discussion ForumTM to post comments, discuss and explore ideas
- SCC Online® Blog to stay updated on recent happenings of the legal world
- Useful LinksTM to get access to a compilation of free resources
The book will prove to be immensely useful to students of LL B and LL M, researchers, administrators, academicians, judges, advocates and NGOs. The book will definitely be a prized collection for any library.